13-nt European Waterways AmaVida
|Day||Ports of Call|
|4||Vega De Terron, Spain|
|7||Caldas de Aregos, Portugal|
|9||Leixoes (Porto), Portugal|
|10||Leixoes (Porto), Portugal|
Know Before You Go
- Pricing includes cruise portion only. For pre and post accommodations, please contact your PERX travel planner.
- Please be discreet, do not discuss your industry discounts with other guests aboard your sailing.
- Please ensure that you have your ID available when boarding.
- We strongly suggest purchasing travel protection to cover medical expenses in the event that medical attention is required.
CRUISE FROM : Porto to Vega Terron
Set sail in Porto, the beautiful "City of Bridges" and gateway to the Douro River Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with rambling vineyards and charming quintas, which cling to the steep sides of the river. Taste wines from these vineyards and discover the timeless traditions of Portuguese winemaking throughout your journey before visiting some of Spain's glorious cities.
Flavors of Portugal & Spain
At A Glance
On our cruises, you will enjoy an extensive lineup of included tours. In many cases, you will have a choice of excursions, such as standard tours, hikes and Special Interest Tours. We always include a large variety of activities so that you can choose how you want to explore. No matter your preference, your days will be full of discovery and wonder.
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with outside balconies)
- Computer for internet access
- Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access, movies, a music library and English language TV stations
- Desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
AN ARRAY OF AMENITIES
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck and pool
- Fitness room
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Bottled water in every stateroom replenished daily
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- Welcome Cocktail, Welcome Dinner, La ChaIne des R“tisseurs Dinner, Captain's Cocktail and Gala Dinner
- La ChaIne des R“tisseurs exclusive dining experience
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Daily Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
A WORLD OF EXPLORATION
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
- Guided hikes
- Special Interest Tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
The AmaVida brings AmaWaterways’ distinctive standard of excellence to the Douro River in Portugal. This grand 106-passenger vessel features balconies in the majority of its spacious staterooms and suites, which range up to 323 sq. ft. Guests on the AmaVida will enjoy fine dining in the main dining room, plus al fresco dining for up to 32 guests. The AmaVida also features a Sun Deck swimming pool; fitness center and spa; complimentary in-stateroom Internet access on a 42” flat-screen and ship-wide Wi-Fi.
Day 1 : ARRIVE IN MADRID, SPAIN
Arrive in Madrid and check in to your hotel.
Day 2 : MADRID
Enjoy a guided tour of Madrid, Spain's capital since the Spanish Golden Age and now its largest city, a place with broad avenues, grand museums, stately gardens and lively tapas bars. Known for its historic districts, art, music and epicurean delights, Madrid is a cosmopolitan metropolis with a vibrant nightlife scene. The city's top landmarks include the elaborate Royal Palace, Buen Retiro Park, Puerto del Sol, Mercado de San Miguel, Plaza Mayor and such renowned art galleries as the Prado Museum and Centro de Arte Reina Sofia. (B)
Day 3 : MADRID - TOLEDO
You'll have an excursion today to the walled city of Toledo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the ancient capital of Spain. The city is a treasure trove of artistic riches that once inspired Spanish Renaissance artist, El Greco, with its winding streets and well-preserved medieval architecture. As part of your guided tour, you will visit the Cathedral of Toledo (one of the world's greatest Gothic structures) as well as the Synagogue Santa Maria La Blanca in the Jewish Quarter. (B)
Day 4 : MADRID - SALAMANCA - VEGA TERRON - EMBARKATION
This morning, you will depart Madrid for an excursion to Salamanca, a UNESCO World Heritage Site located at the center of Spain's Castilla y Leon region. Your guided city tour includes the university buildings, Salamanca Cathedral and the uniquely adorned House of Shells. Afterwards, have lunch and be treated to a flamingo show. Later, you will be transferred to Vega Terron to board your river ship. (B,L,D)
Day 5 : VEGA TERRON - BARCA D'ALVA - PINHAO, PORTUGAL
Venture to Castelo Rodrigo, known as the "White Village" because of its almond trees. The site offers spectacular views of the surrounding area and as far away as Spain. Join a walking tour through its medieval streets and see the houses and establishments with 16th-century facades and Manueline style windows. Prefer a more active adventure there, you can hike up to the town. At the end of both tours, enjoy a tasting of local favorites, such as almonds, cheese, bread and wine. (B,L,D)
Day 6 : PINHAO
Enjoy an excursion to the palace and gardens known as the Palacio de Mateus, located in the beautiful region of Tras-os-Montes near the city of Vila Real. The interior of the house features various religious images and exquisite furniture, artwork and hand-carved wooden ceilings. The exterior is equally stunning, with gardens that are among the most beautiful in all of Portugal. Later be treated to an exclusive lunch at Quinta da Avessada, where you'll enjoy an authentic and traditional dining experience complete with entertainment. The warm, spirited hospitality of this family-run Quinta is quite special as you will discover. Several family members play in a band, and while dining, they will entertain you. Quinta de Avessada is also a fascinating interactive museum commemorating the history and culture of wine in the Alto Douro region, so you'll have fun discovering all the various stages of wine production as well as doing plenty of tasting. Later in the day, you'll be treated to a wine tasting at the charming Quinta do Seixo. (B,L,D)
Day 7 : RђGUA - CALDAS DE AREGOS
You have a choice of two excursions, depending on your interests. Your first option is an excursion to ancient and picturesque Lamego, home to one of the most important pilgrimage sites in Portugal, the Nossa Senhora dos Remedios (Sanctuary of Our Lady of Remedies). Other attractions include a Gothic cathedral, a museum, and charming cafes. Active adventurers can also choose to hike up the famed Lamego Steps, also known as the Holy Staircase. (B,L,D)
Day 8 : CALDAS DE AREGOS - ENTRE-OS-RIOS
Enjoy a morning of scenic cruising along a lovely stretch of the Douro. Later in the day, savor a pre-dinner glass of port wine and the breathtaking view of the river valley from the terrace of the centuries-old Alpendurada Monastery. This will be followed by a traditional "home cooked" meal. (B,L,D)
Day 9 : PORTO
Join a guided tour of Porto's historic quarter, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You'll see the Cathedral, one of the city's oldest monuments; the main square, ringed with shops and cafes; and the Sao Bento Railway Station, known for its blue and white tile panels depicting scenes from Portuguese history. You'll also enjoy a tasting of port, Portugal's most renowned contribution to the world of wine. For the more active adventure, join a hike in Porto and e